Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Martin O'Neill on the 1-0 victory over Portsmouth

artin O'Neill was delighted with the immediate impact of goal hero Emile Heskey - but revealed he was lost for words when it came to congratulating him.

He told AVTV: "Emile's goal was a great finish and it was a super display from him.

"He had never played with Gabby before but I thought there was an instant rapport.

"It wasn't just his fantastic finish - I thought he helped Gabby out enormously. I was delighted with his overall performance.

"He was great, particularly when you consider he doesn't know the team at all. I was delighted for him.

"When he came off, I just said: "Brilliant Emile!" I haven't got the word power of a Wordsworth, Milton or Chaucer, so I just told him he was brilliant."

While MON was obviously thrilled by his new signing's all-action display, he was also glowing in his praise of a host of claret and blue heroes.

He added: "There were loads of brilliant performances - Carlos Cuellar and Zat Knight to start.

"Luke Young at left-back was terrific and the captain Gareth Barry was fantastic.

"His opening 20 minutes set the tone for the game. He was going in and winning challenges he had no right to win.

"Stiliyan Petrov was excellent and James Milner was fantastic - absolutely fantastic."

No comments: