Saturday, September 27, 2008

Martin O'Neill praises Villa

Martin O'Neill praised his players for their commitment and determination in coming from behind to beat Sunderland.

O'Neill also picked out Stiliyan Petrov as the outstanding performer on the day.

He told AVTV: "I am delighted with the third successive league win because Premier League points are hard to come by.

"It was a great effort by the players. I thought we might tire as the game wore on, as was the case, but it was good to have something to hold on to. Sunderland pressed at the death but it was good to see it through.

"Ashley scored an absolutely fantastic goal and John continued his good form with a great finish. I couldn't be more pleased for the lads because they have showed an enormous amount of determination to fight back in the game.

"We seem to be getting into the habit of winning close games, which is very encouraging.

"The team have been playing so, so well but if I was to pick anyone out this afternoon, it would be Stiliyan. I thought he was absolutely outstanding.

"I heard the announcement at the end of the game that he was man of the match. I certainly wouldn't disagree with that."

Source: Aston Villa Media

No comments: